Packages are a great way to sell or assign a series of sessions to a client, which will then automatically count down as sessions are booked.
These instructions will walk you through how to:
- Create Package
- Sell or Assign a Package
- Book a Package Session
- Adjusting Remaining Sessions and Expiry
- Package Sharing
- Appointment No Show, Cancellation and Package Refunds
- Search Appointments
- Other Considerations
- Only Owner and Administrator roles can create and edit packages.
- The services associated with a package must already be created, active and set to publicly display.
- You can create packages that include a single or multiple service types.
- Packages can either be paid upfront or paid each session at the time of the appointment.
You will need to start by creating your package offerings from Settings > Packages.
From the Packages page, choose the [+ Package] button in the upper right of the page.
1. Package Name & Description
- Here you will name your package and describe it. The description will be displayed to clients in their Packages list. NOTE: The name can’t be changed once the first package has been sold.
- Status: When a package is no longer offered you can set it to “Inactive”.
2. Assign Services & Limits
Choose which Service(s) the package applied to and how many sessions are included. NOTE: The assigned services and limits can’t be changed once the first package has been sold.
- Choose the Service
- Set the number of sessions (Limited or Unlimited)
- Select “Add to Package” then repeat if adding more than 1 type of service.
There are several options to choose from for the package expiration. This is the period in which the client must use their package session by. Note: This is not a purchase period. The package can be purchased as long as it is active.
- No Expiry
- X Days/Weeks/Months from Date of Purchase or Date of First Use
- On Specific Date
4. Fee & Payment Options
When it comes to how you will get paid for the sessions, there are 2 methods to choose from, Paid Upfront or Paid Each Appointment. NOTE: The payment method can’t be changed once the first package has been sold.
- Paid Upfront – If you expect your client to pay you at the time you sell the package to them, this is the option for you. When you sell a Paid Upfront package to a client, you will be prompted to collect and apply the payment at that time.
Invoice considerations – Since the package is paid upfront, each appointment will already be considered paid and have no balance owing on that invoice. Each appointment from a package will also have a link to the invoice associated with the original package sale.
Taxes – If you charge tax on your services, you should assign the necessary tax to the package fee. With this type of package, where payment is only collected once at the time of package purchase, not for each appointment, there is no charge and therefore not tax charged for each appointment individually.
- Paid Each Appointment – As the name implies, this type of package has no upfront charge, the fee is paid at the time of each appointment.
With this type of package, you set the adjusted fee the client should pay each appointment. If you have multiple service types in your package, you set the adjusted fee for each service individually.
Invoice considerations – Since the package is paid each appointment, each appointment invoice will have a balance owing, adjusted to the fee you set for the package. Each appointment from a package will also have a link to the invoice associated with the original package assignment. NOTE: Even though no payment is collected upfront, an invoice is still generated for tracking.
Taxes – If you charge tax on your services, this type of package will apply the taxes as set for each service individually. You can set those taxes by editing the service in Settings > Services.
TIP: If your clients need receipts for insurance purposes, we recommend packages that are Paid Each Appointment since the invoice will clearly indicate the actual amount the client paid for each session.
Package List – The packages you create will be listed in Settings > Packages. From that list you can view all packages, edit, deactivate and delete unwanted packages.
- You can change the order of the packages in the list by dragging and dropping.
- You can create Categories [+ Category button] to help group your packages. Drag the packages below the category to make a group.
- Deleted packages are not displayed by default to keep the list short, but you can select the “Show Deleted Packages” checkbox to have those display.
You can sell/assign a package to a client from any of the client’s appointments in your calendar or the client’s profile.
- Open the appointment and go to the “Packages” section. This is where all the client’s packages will be listed and a new package can be sold/assigned.
- Select the “Sell Package” dropdown to choose the package.
- Confirm you want to sell/assign the package.
- If the package is Paid Upfront, the payment options will appear so you can apply the payment. NOTE: If you choose not to apply a payment immediately, you can do so later from the Package Invoice.
- If Paid Each Appointment, you will immediately be returned to the client’s list of packages after confirming.
From the Client Profile
- Go to the Clients list from the main side menu.
- Search for the client and open their profile.
- Open the ‘Packages” section and choose “Sell Package”
- From here the sale/assignment is the same as from an appointment.
Once a package has been assigned to a client, it will be available for booking immediately. The packages option will appear while booking from the admin calendar and to clients when they book online.
From Admin Calendar
- When booking from the admin calendar, if the client being booked has available packages that are not expired and have sessions remaining, a “Available Packages” dropdown will appear.
- You can either start by selecting a Service, which will filter the Available Packages list to those that include that service or select a package, and then choose from the included services.
- Below the selected package, a list of additional details will display, such as included services, remaining sessions, expiry and fee adjustment note.
- Once the appointment is created the Remaining sessions will automatically decrease by 1 session.
NOTE ABOUT REPEAT BOOKINGS: When booking a repeating series of appointments, if the number of appointments being booked is greater than the number of available package sessions, the additional sessions will be booked at the regular fee. You should adjust the repeat series to fewer sessions and sell another package before booking the additional appointments.
From Client Calendar
- When a client is booking from your client calendar, if the service they are booking is included in any of their packages that is not expired and has sessions remaining, a notice of available packages will appear once they arrive at the booking confirmation form.
- The client can choose to apply the package and reduce their remaining sessions or book at the regular fee.
- If a package is selected, the booking information updates to include the package info such as remaining sessions, expiry and any fee adjustments.
From Client’s My Packages List
- The client’s account will also include a “Packages” page with a list of their packages. From here they can choose to book a specific service from any of their active packages and choose who to book with.
- From the Packages page, the client will land on the calendar to choose a time where the package will automatically be applied to the booking.
- Clients can also view the related package sessions and the package purchase invoice/receipt. NOTE: If you would prefer not to display invoices for the client’s view, you can suppress that from Settings > Config > Booking Calendar Settings > Client View Options.
There will no doubt be occasions where you will need to manually adjust the remaining sessions or expiry date for a specific client. No problem, we thought of that!
To adjust these values, go to any of the client’s appointments or their profile, to view the client’s packages. Choose the Edit pencil beside either value to make the adjustment.
You can add a reason for the adjustment which will display in the audit tag with the action date/time, who made the change and what was adjusted.
NOTE: When adjusting the expiry, the only option is to set the package to expire on a specific date. You cannot adjust the package to more complex rules such as X number of months after purchase.
If you allow clients to share sessions from packages, you can use the Linked Clients feature to choose the related clients who can book sessions. NOTE: A linked client will be able to use sessions from ALL available packages of the package owner. Choosing specific packages to share is not possible. Learn more about linking clients.
To link clients, simply go to your Client list to search for any of the clients to link. In the client profile, go to the “Linked Client” section, to search for the other client(s) to be linked.
After selecting the client to link, choose “Setup Relationship” to define the relationship and permissions. There are 7 relationship options to choose from, which simply act as labels to define the relationship, these relationships do not have any inherent rules:
You can then choose what each has permission to do on behalf of the other.
- Book and Manage Appointments – The linked client will see the others’ appointments listed under their “My Appointments” list in their account with a notation that the appointment is for another client.
- Complete Intake Forms – The linked client will receive copies of the Intake Form request emails and outstanding forms will display in the client’s “My Appointments” list.
- Receive Copies of Appointment Notification Emails – The linked client will receive appointment Confirmation, Changed and Reminder emails. Note: when emailing an appointment invoice/receipt, the linked client’s email will be pre-populated in the send email window.
- Can Use Sessions from Packages – The linked client can use sessions from all packages in the package owner’s account.
Once the package owner has been linked to the associated clients and the session sharing permissions set, the same packages will be available to the linked clients as will be available to the package owner.
In each client’s Packages list, if a package is shared, it will display an additional notation to indicate if the package is shared.
- Shared with = This package is owned by the client being viewed and shared with the listed client(s).
- Shared by = This package is being shared with this client by another client.
No Show – If a client is a no show for an appointment that was booked from a package, when you mark the appointment as a no show, the session will automatically be returned to the package, increasing the remaining by 1 session. If you wanted to override that increase, you can adjust the remaining manually from the client’s Packages list.
Cancellation – A cancelled appointment will automatically return the session to the package, increasing the remaining sessions by 1.
Refunds – If you cancel a package that is Paid Upfront, you will also have the option to refund all or a portion on the package fee. If you do choose to refund any amount, you will need to consider how you want that reflect in your financial reports.
- Outstanding Balance (loss) – If you prefer to show in the invoice and reports that there is an outstanding balance (a loss) equal to the amount you refunded, simply apply a refund and add notes to the invoice as to why you provided the refund. The refund will be listed and the invoice balance updated.
- No Outstanding Balance – To have the invoice show as fully paid (zero balance) after the refund, you will need to make an Overall Adjustment to discount the invoice for the amount equal to the refund.
We have updated the Search Appointments to include a “Packages” dropdown so you can search for appointments linked to a specific package.
The Sales Report – Package Sales will provide financial insights into your sales of packages. You can filter the report by Date Range, by specific client, specific package and package status.
Go to Reports > Company – Owner/Admin folder. The Sales Report – Package Sale report has several filters as well as sub-total and sorting options.
The Package Usage report is in the “Company – Owner/Admin” and “Company – Receptionist” folders and also includes a variety of filtering options.
This is a great report to provide to a client should they want to account for their package related visits.
Package Purchase by Clients – At this time, packages can only be sold from the company side. In the next couple of months, we will make an update for the ability to allow clients to purchase packages from your client calendar. In order to use this feature, you will need to connect your Stripe account to process any payments for upfront packages.